Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship
Ronald Reagan was leaving office after term limit 8 years, as Vice President Bush had won and sworn in as President in January of 1989.

The Berlin Wall had just came down, and USSR had ended, and we in USA thought that was the end of USA problems with Russia.

Big on the Jukebox was Guns and Roses and Welcome To The Jungle. 45 rpm record jukeboxes. CD Jukeboxes would start coming out more in 1991.

Larry Hagman was still doing that JR thing on TV Show Dallas still on TV.

Johnny Carson still on, David Letterman still on after Carson on NBC. Arsenio Hall had a new talk show.

The Simpsons hadn't happened yet. Married With Children had on a new station called FOX. About a year before Simpsons cartoon started on this new Fox station.

VCR's were still pretty new and expensive. A lot of VCR rental stores. VCR was the new big thing.

2 records I liked were The Traveling Wilburys and a new Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, but I don't think they were out yet. I liked The George Harrison songs and the Roy Orbison song ' Not Alone Anymore " was great. I thought Dylan songs not up to what he had did in past. On CSNY, the Neil Young song American Made was a good put down of TV preachers and politicians. His song This Old House about a bank taking away a family's home and farm was a good music version of Grapes of Wrath.

Tear In My Beer was a big song on the 45 Jukeboxes. I laughed because it was so much like Hee Haw song, " Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me ". I could not listen to Tear In My Beer, without doing the Hee Haw Show crying jag thing to it. Same later with, " Where Am I gonna' live when I get home ", or " Yabba Dabba Do " about a guys wife leaving him with nothing but a Jim Beam decanter that looks like Elvis and a Fred Flintstone Jelly Jar. So he breaks Elvis nose and pours Fred up to his toes, Yabba Dabba Do, The King is gone, and so are you. ....All crying in your beer songs of last Bengals Super Bowl era, All On 45 RPM because CD's not really out much yet.

So no Simpsons, Seinfeld, the 1990's hadn't happened yet. I guess my favorite TV show was Late Night with Letterman after Carson. Married With Children was a brand new show I kind of liked. I liked Al Bundy, and his wife Peggy had a nice rear end. The Daughter was good looking. I thought Al Bundy was pretty funny telling people to never get married like he did.

Of course what took the USA and the World by storm was THE ICKEY SHUFFLE. That was HUGE. It became bigger than Cincinnati, the Whole World loved The Ickey Shuffle. Even Paul Brown did the Ickey Shuffle.

Oh, Home Computers and things weren't really here yet or Internet. A little, not much. Records were still the big thing, and VCR's were new and expensive but Video Stores were in their biggest years. VCR was THE big new thing. Video Games were still starting. In 1989 Donkey Kong and Mike Tyson Boxing Game were big. I thought Tom Cruise a good new actor making movie with Paul Newman in Color of Money and Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man. Yes, Tom Cruise was the top new actor. I liked the Police Squad Movies they were starting to make, because I liked the TV Show in 1980 that got cancelled after 6 weeks.

Again, in 1988 the huge thing was the Berlin Wall coming down and the end of the USSR. We in the USA thought that was the end of problems with Russia. It was wishful thinking on our part, anyway.

Rap was just starting. Anybody remember The Fat Boys. " Were in Jail, without Bail ". Rap may remember Run DMC, but I think they try to forget The Fat Boys early era. Rap was very brand new and still in the infant stage starting out.

Oh wait, in 1988 the Savings and Loans Collapse in USA and so many people losing money. The US Government had to clean up that mess. A lot of Savings and Loans were not backed up by Federal Funds, and when they crashed in 1988 across the USA, that wiped out a lot of peoples life savings. They were not Federal Backed Banks, and so the Savings and Loans going under was a huge problem.

The highlight on WLW radio out of Cincinnati was the night Marty Brennaman sang, " That's What Friends Are For " during a Reds game. Forget about Frank Sinatra and any singer you have ever heard. The music world just about went into retirement the night Marty sang, " That's What Friends Are For ". Much like a Hudy Beer commercial, his voice was Robust and Truly Monumental. Even The Grammys said We Ae Not Worthy. This was around 1988 or 1989. For Sure, that's what friends are for. Keep Smiling.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship - kevin - 01-26-2022, 06:45 PM