Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What last night's loss reminded me of...
Week 9 of 2013 - Bengals @ Dolphins on Thursday night football.

1:35 left in the game - tied at 17. Bengals in FG range and 3rd with 4 to go. Dolphins have 1 time out left.

A 1st down basically wins the game, if not, then the Dolphins have to take their final TO to stop the clock.

So what do the play callers make?

A right, deep pass to Sanu. Inc.

Stops the clock and now 4th down.

We kick the go ahead FG giving us a 20 -17 advantage. However there is still 1:24 on the clock and Miami still has 1 TO left.

1st and 10, we sack Tannehill for a HUGE loss- Great under normal circumstances, not great for us, since Miami took their final TO, stopping the clock with 1:11 left.

OK - so we have a young QB in 2nd and long, no TO left and another sack or more pressure and we get either an errant throw or a quick completion that is stopped for little to no gain.

Instead - we play prevent - the young QB hits for a big gain - not big enough to convert, but big enough to make it 3rd and a yard. Tannehill was able to march his team into FG range and kick the FG to tie it up at 20 - 20. Goes into OT, where after an exchange of possessions, Dalton is sacked in the EZ for a safety, giving the Dolphins the win.

Last night - pretty much the same thing. 3rd and 2, they have no TOs - a run play even without a conversion would have eaten up a lot of clock. A FG ties it, putting us in OT with a chance to win. A conversion secures the clock being ran out, with 2 more chances to throw the ball. Not only that, but we had 2 TOs to work with. I am all for going for the win, but not at the expense of poor situational football. Kill the clock or convert and have 2 more pass attempts to score a TD as well as killing the clock. I will still take 8-2 at this point in the season, so I am not beating up on the team too much. However, I really wish someone would remind whoever is in charge, that in these situations, you have to play situational football. Even if Green had scored there, we now are giving the Cardinals a chance to win, by not killing the clock.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What last night's loss reminded me of... - Sovereign Nation - 11-23-2015, 02:17 PM