Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship
Was 26 years old and just moved back to Louisville from Az where I went to hike the Grand Canyon for a couple years.

Am a Card fan, but we always watched the Cats play as well being half my friends are Cat fans. Anyway back then the thing to do when watching UK play was to turn the volume on our tube TV down and listen to Cawood Ledford's call on WHAS radio. Everybody thought he was so good at knowing if the ball was going through the hoop because he would say "string music" right before the ball barely tickled the net.
In reality the radio broadcast was a split second quicker than the TV, still Cawood was way better than listening to the announcers on TV. Don't think you can watch while listening on radio anymore.

Video stores ? Oddly I still miss them lol.

Believe caller ID had just came out and definitely pay phones were still everywhere.

Now in 1981 is a much more interesting time. People were hitchhiking still, apartments were $200 a month, weed still had seeds, pool tables were a quarter, concerts were $5-$8 a ticket, and the Bengals had no stripes on helmet yet.
Cable tv had just hit Louisville and they would give you a box to change channels. Anyway they painted the screws on the bottom of the box to keep people from opening and soldering wires to get all the channels free. These screws went right through a rubber piece that acted as feet for box and you could just use the rubber incasing the screw to unscrew by hand without damaging paint. Everybody in town had every single channel available for free for at least 5 years. Then they bluff threatened prosecution but offered free amnesty to those who turned in their tampered boxes. We all turned them in and started paying full price.

Bengals may have had their bad luck per me stealing that free HBO and Playboy channel, my apologies.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship - Go Cards - 01-30-2022, 02:52 AM