Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Live in the moment and enjoy this run because it will never be as sweet as this one
(01-31-2022, 05:53 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: There are some people so old here they probably remember '81 and '88 like it was yesterday.

Guilty!  Maybe not quite like it was yesterday, but I remember both games.  1981 was kind of like this year in that I couldn't believe my team was actually going to be in the Super Bowl.  To suddenly be relevant after years of being an afterthought at best!  

It was really a big deal at the time that two new teams were going to play:  Bengals and 49ers.  It seemed like only 5 teams had been in the superbowl in the 70s:  Dolphins, Cowboys, Vikings, Steelers, and Raiders.  There was so much interest in the exciting new teams the game was the highest rated TV show of all time (still is, I think).  Time magazine had a famous split cover of Ken Anderson and Joe Montana before the game to symbolize the changing of the guard.  Obviously all the hype was half right:  the 49ers were the new dynasty...

I was a freshman in college in January of 1982.  I got an email yesterday from a friend I've haven't heard from in 30+ years saying he remembers the last time he watched the Bengals in the Super Bowl it was in my dorm room drinking whiskey and ginger ale from 32 oz tumblers.   LMAO
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Live in the moment and enjoy this run because it will never be as sweet as this one - BRM13 - 02-01-2022, 04:54 AM