Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flores files a class action suit against the NFL
Flores' career is over, which is the unfortunate consequence to anyone who calls out the practices of anything like the NFL or MLB. Curt Flood was a MLB player who refused to be traded and likened the reserve clause (which was a clause in a player's contract that did not allow that player to sign with other teams, even after the contract expired. The only way they could sign with another team is if the team owner traded or released them outright) to slavery and fought it all the way to the Supreme Court.

He lost his case and his career ended before the reserve clause was ever removed (he retired in 1971, the reserve clause was removed and free agency was created in 1975). But his case created the support among players and fans needed to eventually force teams to remove the reserve clause and create free agency.

He sacrificed his career for a cause that he did not benefit from, but others in the future did.

I could see the same being the case for Flores.

I'm not sure exactly what that will look like. I don't think a minimum number of black head coaches is correct or anything like that. But I could see this lawsuit creating some kind of change in the coming years.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flores files a class action suit against the NFL - CJD - 02-02-2022, 04:24 PM