6 14.63%
75.61%
31 75.61%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this team best Bengal team ever
(02-03-2022, 11:25 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: If we assume that we are comparing the 1981 version of the player, then yes it would make sense.  That's like the entire point here. 

There are two ways to look at it. 
- Was Kenny Anderson better in his era than Joe Burrow is in his? Maybe, but Joe's body of work is only two years long at this point so it's hard to say for sure, IMO
- If you took 1981 Kenny Anderson and dropped him in 2021 would he be as good as 2021 Joe Burrow? Doubtful 

I guess maybe you're looking at it in a third way, which is if Kenny Anderson was able to be infused with the modern training and nutrition and dropped into 2021 would he be as good as Joe? Harder to say.  I mean the way the game is played is so much different now. Defenses are much more varied and complex, as are offenses.   

This is all fun to talk about as an offseason topic, but I'm not sure any of it matters.  

I was just objecting to the following quote:

"If you stuck Kenny Anderson in his prime on this roster, he would probably suck tbh. Nothing against him, he was one of the best of his era, it's just evolution. The rules are different, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now because training and nutrition have evolved too. The way defense is played has adapted to fit the new rules and offensive schemes, too."

I thought you were saying players of previous eras were just less skilled. Plumbers. Mechanics. Typical zoomer take. But maybe I read you wrong, and you were just saying that the game itself was more primitive back then, and Kenny wouldn't be ready for it.

With that I'd agree...and yes, I'm looking at it in the 3rd way. Kenny had the arm/athletic talent and mind to play at a high level in any era, assuming he has all the same benefits modern players have.

I have no clue if he'd be as good as Joe. I just don't think he'd be some scrub. That's all I'm saying.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is this team best Bengal team ever - Shake n Blake - 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM