Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Would a Bengals' Superbowl Win Mean to You? Put it in Context.
(02-06-2022, 11:29 AM)samhain Wrote: Even in a town very close to Cincinnati, I could count on one hand the number of friends I have that are true, die-hard Bengal fans.  There are Steelers fans, predominantly, then Dallas fans, Green Bay fans, a stray Ravens fan, and even a few Browns and Bears fans.  I called a total of 3 people after the win Sunday, because they were the 3 that I knew were true fans throughout the entire time I've known them regardless of how the Bengals were faring.  

Every. Single. One. was in tears.  

We've been the little brother team for a long time when it comes to how the big bandwagon fanbases view us.  I got literally laughed at at work when I stood up for the Chase pick in April and told them that there was no way we could pass on a player of his caliber with that pick.  The sheer arrogance of these people (fans of major teams) when it comes to how they view the smaller fanbases is laughable.  I took a tour of the Cowboys corporate HQ in 2019.  When the tour guide asked our group what team each person rooted for and it came down to me, the last person asked, and I said the Bengals, the entire group ether laughed out loud or made some smug face at me.

That fact alone makes it absolutely delicious to see them sulking and hanging their heads for the last few weeks.  I've never known this feeling in my life.  I want to know what it feels like to see them with their tails between their legs for an entire offseason.  

For me, it would mean a great deal.  I can't quantify it because I never thought it would happen.  

Despite the failures of the past, I've had some of the most fun days of my life going to games and watching this team.  There aren't many things I'd rather do.  I can't wait to see what the city and the games are like with an excited fanbase and the removal of tired perceptions.  I can't wait to see how loud it is and how the people in town react to the return of football with the enthusiasm of a city that actually believes in the team, because they've seen it succeed at the highest level.  

In short, I have no idea.  I've played out the scenario in my head so many times, similar to thinking about what I'd do if I won some obscene Powerball jackpot.  It seems that unreal.  Yet here it is.  I want to find out.

Terrific post.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Would a Bengals' Superbowl Win Mean to You? Put it in Context. - Science Friction - 02-06-2022, 02:49 PM