Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks
(02-07-2022, 08:34 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: It was fun to read through the replies on this thread. To me, it's so monumental that the Bengals are in the Super Bowl that they could cut away to a bingo game at a nursing home and I wouldn't care.

Usually, the halftime shows are kind of generic regardless of the performer. It's interesting that people thought both Madonna's and Lady Gaga's shows were like satanic rites. Nobody mentioned the Who because their show was really underwhelming. Yes, Prince did a great show. They had to shield him from the rain so he wouldn't fritz out while playing his guitar. The only thing that stands out to me about the "big name" shows was when Bruce Springsteen was on, and after he did his predictably corny "Born in the USA," he had a referee come on the stage and kick him off good-naturedly.

GTFO.

Not only did I mention them (they ARE my favourite band, think I've said that 3 times ITT), but there has NEVER been an underwhelming Who show. Pete was 64, Rog' 65 and they can't move like they used to. Even without the jumping and mic-swinging however, their talent has always been in their musical chops; Pete still does things with a guitar that nobody can ever conceptually or physically do (well, maybe a bit hyperbolic on the physical part) and their music (on a written and difficulty level) is among the very top in modern music history. I mean, Pete started writing Tommy in his early 20s and Quadrophenia in his mid-20s, then Lifehouse, which was SO DAMN ADVANCED in 1970, that they couldn't do anything as the concept was way too-advanced for any of the current producers (in music and film, as it was to be a film) and some of the musical equipment needed didn't even exist.

Hell, the entire concept of Lifehouse is miles ahead of what anyone was writing about in 1970 (MAYBE some of the prog. rockers wrote about conceptual stuff on that level) and a lot of it has actually come true, which makes it even more genius (essentially, everyone is attached to a, "grid," of sorts {the Internet} and pollution has gotten bad-enough that there are severe restrictions on manufacturing and production {well, well...) and society has collapsed, socially, quite a bit).

It's not that whatever they do is perfection and untouchable, but to say a Who show is underwhelming? You didn't like/appreciate it, period. Again, I don't like Prince's music at all (find a ton of it INCREDIBLY-grating and annoying, actually), but I was enthralled with his show, because I could appreciate his talent, energy and the concept of everything.

TL;dr: The Who is cool beans and their show wasn't underwhelming in the slightest; you just don't like it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-07-2022, 10:44 AM