Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks
(02-08-2022, 09:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Damn man.  Hate much?  LOL

Are you talking #1 songs?

They have had nineteen Top 40 singles in the U.S. (the second most without a Billboard Hot 100 number one single behind Electric Light Orchestra with 20), six of which reached the Top 10 of the US chart and two of which reached No. 1 on other Billboard charts, and a No. 6 hit on the UK Singles Chart in "Don't Stop Believin ' ".

You might hate their sound or singer but to call them the one of the worst musical acts in Rock? WTF

The Who has never had a #1. The Trogs have a #1.

Basing musical acts on charts is ridiculous; any true, blue musician would acknowledge this.

Journey has: "Anyway You Want It," "Open Arms," and "Don't Stop Believin'," (which is one of the most-overrated songs in music history, let alone rock), that are known outside the US.

They are a formulaic, late 70s, early 80s rock act, in the same vein as Foreigner, Bad Company, Cheap Trick, Styx, etc. Those are all POPULAR acts, but popularity (ie: charts) doesn't mean good. If we're going off of Charts = talent, then that means that Rush isn't a band with merit, even though they can write and perform circles around any of the bands mentioned above.

I mean,, "My Sharona," was #1 for 6 weeks in 1979 FFS and it's a song largely devoid of any decent writing or talented playing. Or the Cantina song from Star Wars was #1 for 2 weeks in 1977 (I honestly couldn't believe that when I read it. Absolute joke). Charts are an absolute sham/joke/bunch of BS, etc.

And I LOVE Cheap Trick; "Reach Out ," is easily one of my 3 favourite soundtrack songs from film ever and as much as it is played to death, "I Want You to Want Me," is indeed a classic song, even if it too is nothing special from a writing and performance POV.

Have to be objective when it comes to music; Limp Bizkit is my second-favourite band ever and outside of Jon Otto and Sam Rivers (and even then, they still aren't up to a high level), nobody currently or in the band's past can ever conceptually or physically, perform or write at the levels of a Who, Rush, Hendrix, Cream, etc.

Edit*** and no, I don't, "hate," anything. I do my best to be objective (look at my other posts ITT if you need proof). Music is so subjective and taste-oriented, but there still is an objectivity in terms of chops and skill. You can have a popular sound and still be a terrible musician. You can sell records and have a huge fanbase if you get popular with enough people.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show Stinks - Truck_1_0_1_ - 02-08-2022, 09:56 PM