Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story
(02-08-2022, 06:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:Nothing gets the Right agitated quite like the assertion, or even just the implication, there can be racists who don't know they are racists. 

Any logical person would bridle at such an inane assertion.  Let's use a stereotypical example; an older white lady grabs her purse tightly when a black man enters an elevator with her.  If she is unconsciously reacting to implicit bias, that does not make her a racist.  Now, if she knowingly grabbed her purse tighter because she consciously believes black men are all criminals, or criminally inclined, that would be conscious racism.  But we cannot assign racist intent to her simply because of the action itself.  For example, maybe that same lady was brutally mugged by a black man five years ago, and the memories of this occurrence unconsciously makes her react as she did.  This does not make her racist.  Your position is why accusations of racism are watered down to the point where they almost have no meaning anymore.  You're so quick to slap the label on people that the term has lost all real power.

LOL this isn't the best way to refute that claim that nothing gets the right agitated quite like the assertion/implication that there can be racists who don't know they are racists. 

And what is my "position"? It certainly doesn't define purse-clutching women in elevators as "racist" just because they clutch purses. And imagining a woman in an elevator who clutches a purse for some other reason than race hardly proves real live people can only be racist when they intend to. 

You don't appear able to summarize my position accurately, correctly identify its premises or offer relevant counter examples. 

And you don't yourself appear to have a very clear definition of what "racism" is, or how that term would be defined in history/social/political science domains today. You've called me "racist" at least twice in this forum and at least twice you claimed I called you the same, though you could produce no actual statement/evidence.  There was no conceptual consistency or consistent definition in any of those moments, just an accuse-first-or-be-accused fear response.  

Would it be fair to say that your understanding of current debates over what racism has never gone beyond news articles and youtube? You've not read any books or lengthy essays or other research which explores these issues in depth? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story - Dill - 02-09-2022, 07:16 AM