Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story
(02-08-2022, 06:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Quote:I only differ from the bolded in that I think people who make ape/black jokes ARE endorsing the supposed "link" between black people and apes. They help to naturalize what its a specific cultural inheritance, explain it away as a "natural" visual association anyone anywhere could make

Of course you do, because you, like many far left people, see racism everywhere.  An interesting assertion, that racism requires no mens rea.  Also, your underlined is a gross, and IMO deliberate, mischaracterization of what is being argued.  No one views it as "natural", we view it as common knowledge.  Like any racist trope about any ethnicity, it's not a secret.  Hence people, of all races, will automatically make mental connections between a situation, occurrence or action that aligns with that trope.  Making that connection in no way implicates that person as a racist, it merely reveals they are aware of the trope.  In order for a person to be racist there has to be intent to be racist.  You may say something racist without having racist intent, but that absolutely does not make a person racist.  It is only when the statement is deliberate in its intent to be racist that we can infer the true feeling of the person uttering them.  Under your overly simplistic definition nearly every single stand up comedian in the past forty years is a racist.

Well, that's not just MY assertion.  As mentioned above, you don't seem especially read up on this issue.

So the specific cultural tradition which associates blacks with apes is "common knowledge" rather than "natural," but still an "automatic mental connection"? Where's the "deliberate mischaracterization" exactly?  

Patrick Rushing, Republican mayor of Airway Heights, Washington, wrote this on Facebook: “Gorilla face Michelle, can't disagree with that. The woman is not attractive except to monkey man Barack. Check out them ears. LOL.”
https://www.ibtimes.com/washington-mayor-michelle-obama-gorilla-face-facebook-post-patrick-rushing-refuses-2013601
And he wouldn't resign, because he said, "that’s admitting I’m a racist and I’m not.”  He was just making playful banter. Facebook is funny.

So if they say they are not racist, are people like Rushing, who make that "automatic" connection between blacks and apes, merely "aligning with a trope" then? Merely revealing their "awareness"? 

Joking on that trope just can't be racist if it would make forty years worth of stand up comedians racist?  Hmm

You've posited an analogy between "criminal" and "racist acts" as if both were equally hard to commit without intention, and as easily identifiable when they really occur. 

But do all criminals know/agree that the criminal acts they intend to commit are really criminal? Are no violations of law "criminal" unless there was "conscious intent"? No criminals who think they are not criminal?  No racists who think/say they are not?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story - Dill - 02-09-2022, 09:05 AM