Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flores files a class action suit against the NFL
(02-05-2022, 05:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I can see this.  It’s about relatability which makes sense.  The first I heard this was about 30 years ago when a black Raiders player said he appreciated playing under Art Shell who was one of the first long term black head coaches.  Art was also an incredible offensive tackle so his credibility factor was off the charts.

Forget skin color for a moment because players from all backgrounds respected and loved playing for Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Jim Caldwell, Lovie Smith, and yes, even Marvin Lewis.  From what I’ve heard the Miami players played hard for Brian Flores and, even though I loathe all things Steelers, I have mad respect for Mike Tomlin.  He has NEVER had a losing season.

The issue is that the NFL is a performance based league as well as a copycat league.  Players have spoken openly about their dislike for playing for Belichick, but he's still the most successful NFL HC by miles.  No NFL owner is going to take a HC that is relatable to the players over one that wins.  If you can do both, great, but hiring a HC because he's relatable is putting the cart before the horse.

What's interesting is in '17 there were a record 8 minority HC's.  Unfortunately, most of them didn't perform and the "Find the next McVay" trend hit.  With there only being 4 African American OC's in the league and most teams looking for offensive coaches, there's not a of opportunities.  The bloom has also come off the rose a bit with Tomlin.  He hasn't won a playoff game since '16 and his handling of a number of high profile discipline cases has been suspect.

Personally, the phins playing hard for Flores is national media talking head spin to try and make him seem like a better coach than he actually is.  How hard are you really playing when you start the season 1-7?  It also doesn't really jive with all the issues Flores has had with assistant coaches.  Jim Caldwell was hired as QB coach/assistant HC and quit in July '19 before the Dolphins even played one game.  DC Patrick Graham resigned after one season, as did Flores' 2nd OC, Chan Gailey.  I have a hard time believing Flores has all these issues working with his assistants, but the players are ride or die with him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flores files a class action suit against the NFL - Whatever - 02-09-2022, 03:29 PM