Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story
(02-10-2022, 07:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They sure are common, one need only go on Twitter to see examples of this regarding every ethnicity.  Thankfully, my refutation of your point isn't predicated on believing anyone who denies racist intent.  You specifically stated it is possible to be a racist without knowing.  I completely disagree.  As you can't argue with my actual point you, typically, try to obfuscate and twist the point being made, trying to make it about something that it wasn't and isn't.

Your "refutation" of my point does depend on your actually refuting it though, not just saying "I disagree."

And I am "arguing your actual point" when I note that you granted that people could have "unconscious biases" and I ask why such could not be racist and influence behavior "unknowingly." To "refute" the notion people can be "unknowing" racists, you need to explain why there cannot be unconcious racist biases, and/or why these don't really influence behavior. You have not. 

I also argued your "actual point" when I posited examples of people who called Michelle Obama a gorilla, at which time you threw your own definition out the window to claim it all depends on how we feel about their apologies.

Racist "tropes" like the supposed similarity of blacks to apes don't just circulate neutrally, harmlessly, in the common culture where people may just understandably deploy them for jokes with a sly wink and a nod to "all races do it"; good fun. Such tropes are available precisely because a dominant cultural group defined a dominated one through such devices, making them ok and "natural." 

Were your definition generally adopted, its effect would be to give wider permission to "align" Blacks with apes, commonsensically, for humor and political commentary. Victims who resist or complain just want to make everything about race. So in their face.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Rogan apologises for using N-word and racist Planet of the Apes story - Dill - 02-13-2022, 04:06 PM