Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CNN attempting to create a new narrative
(02-16-2022, 12:14 PM)Dill Wrote: Seems like one could grant "more serious impacts to inflation" and, without contradiction, still grant that a steep rise in oil prices could drive inflation higher. Unless one thinks Ukraine, the U.S. and/or NATO is driving the current conflict, Russia IS the culprit if war drives oil prices up, right? 

That's one of my complaints/issues with the article.  The headline says the "conflict" will cause inflation to rise.  When really the article suggests the conflicts impact on oil prices would drive inflation up, not the conflict.  I know it sounds like mincing words how many people don't read the articles and just assume the title is the detail?  

Separately, i would argue even with out the conflict, it's not unreasonable to expect oil prices to continue to rise with everything else.  Oil was already trending up before this "conflict" for the last year (as has almost everything else)

(02-16-2022, 12:14 PM)Dill Wrote: The cost of living is already very high in America. The Russia-Ukraine crisis could make it even worse.

Ya this line made me chuckle but wasn't really relevant to my gripe.  "Cost of Living" is totally different from inflation.  The entire article talks about inflation but has this one-liner in there.  Cost of Living has been a problem for MUCH longer than inflation has....our buddy Belsnickel would happily testify to that in his case for a universal basic income (i think).  :)

(02-16-2022, 12:14 PM)Dill Wrote: The NYPost also reports the CNN report, apparently agreeing that a Russian invasion would drive up inflation.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/15/inflation-would-rise-if-russia-invaded-ukraine/

My man, this is EXACTLY how these things happen.  CNN reports something exclusive and other media outlets pick it up and cite CNN.  If the story circulates to 100 different news outlets, it's still originally CNN content.  So I would say the NYPost is enabling CNN.  Tongue

(02-16-2022, 12:14 PM)Dill Wrote: Finally, we are not made privy to the RSM report, but we do have their chief economist on record. That's some accountability.

I am curious about why the report has not been published. Problem solved if they eventually do publish it.

Sure, he's got some accountability.  So does Roger Goodell in all things NFL.  So did Bush when he said there were WMDs (i know, extreme example).  

Publishing the report would for sure solve the problem, but then could they say "The Russia conflict will raise inflation"?  We'll never know.  

For now all i see is a sensational headline and an article that's very loosely tied to the headline....and the kicker is I don't even agree with the the idea the price of oil will have their suggested impact but I'll never get to see why this report says that.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: CNN attempting to create a new narrative - basballguy - 02-16-2022, 07:39 PM