Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations?
I disagree with a couple of the assumptions...
  • I disagree you "front load" the contract for Bates, and the idea of it is generally a falsehood in the NFL. In reality, you go with a substantial signing bonus and then structure the backend with heavy roster bonuses that allow Bates to get the big media number he is after for the ooows and awwws but in reality he may not make it to the back end to earn out the roster bonuses. 14.5-15 for a cap number next year is my guess.
  • If you are signing C.J. you aren't signing Gronk, so this is an either or situation. People need to understand they are filling a similar role in veteran reliable TE but with limited vertical threat ability. I am projecting about 7 Million in cap to this decision.
  • I agree, it may come down to either or here but I also wonder in a similarly flooded market if we don't get one back on a one year deal (potentially Larry O). I would budget about 8 for this signing on next year's cap.
  • As for the ability to sign additional O linemen, I think you are budgeting around 22-25 Million for next year to sign these guys. We will see who we can get, and if we can't get two for that money look for the rest to be thrown at a CB and they go O line at 31.
Doing some quick math off this, I am projecting somewhere around 55 or so for the above mentioned major FA decisions. Now with that said we still need to make some decisions on re-signs but most are cheap. Some of the easier decisions will probably be moving on from Harris and Huber as you can get both those guys usually cheap as rookies. Then you are probably talking about guys like Topou, Flowers, Allen all of which have a shot to be back I think (Topou least likely in my mind).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations? - Au165 - 02-17-2022, 03:57 PM