Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you feel about paying for a new stadium NOW?
(02-17-2022, 04:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: When I lived in Arlington (and the Cowboys played 20mi away in Irving), I voted in favor of increasing taxes for the new Cowboys stadium.  The idea of creating/expanding an entertainment district is really enticing for the citizens of a city.  

The Rangers built a new ballpark a few years ago right next to the old one (ATT stadium was built over here too), but I don't think I would've voted Yes for that.  The only reason it passed (in my opinion) was it had a huge push on keeping the Rangers in Arlington...as if they were going to leave.  There was marginal new development.  All Arlington got was a 3rd stadium.  

So what's the incentive for Cincinnati residents?  I don't think it's fair to say "They'll leave if we don't pay".  What value would it bring to the city?
I lived right behind the Rangers stadium in Arlington and knew a bunch of nice folks who used to live in an apartment building where the Cowshitters parking lot is now. They were given less than 30 days to vacate the premises before the bulldozers mowed everything down and tossed every resident out on the street.. Awful big of them to create a few hundred homeless people for a few parking spots, huh? 
Stadiums typically, but not always leave other people without the vast resources of an NFL owner holding the bag.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you feel about paying for a new stadium NOW? - grampahol - 02-17-2022, 08:55 PM