Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate the thought of planning around drafting a OL in the 1st.
(02-19-2022, 01:18 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: I'd feel much better seeing them spend money in FA and bring in help with a proven track record and thus be able to draft BPA.

That's the issue!  I honestly think there are two things going on here: 

1. Media mock drafts have the Bengals taking an OL in the majority of mocks.  We were exposed naked on the largest stage like Janet and when the Bengals get brought up to even a casual football fan the response is always "oh they need OL help".  The one writing the mock article doesn't want to be out of tough and doesn't predict free agency. Our eyes see the majority of mocks and put too much stock into it. 

2. We don't believe we are going to fix it in FA.  We have drafted poorly at OL and think the team will continue to do so.  We forget that the plan to fix a historic run defense resulted in big money thrown at Reader, Bell, Waynes(though failed the intent was spend the money), and then they killed it again on D the next year.  The FO has used FA correctly outside of OL recently.  I really think the team will indeed fix the OL in free agency especially with what is at stake. 

So, the plan is to eliminate needs and have the luxury of taking talent.  The compromise is that I think we walk into the draft with one competition spot.  That could be Reiff for one more year with Carmen and Smith getting a shot to compete, or more likely those two competing at RG with hopefully a 3M vet signed before the draft.  That means there are 4 stable positions with the FA guard and center class.  

This is a year I really want to see the offseason plan that leads up to someone mocking a OL at 31 because I'd even make a trade (mid round) to not have to depend on a rookie to start like we did this year. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I hate the thought of planning around drafting a OL in the 1st. - phil413 - 02-19-2022, 01:47 PM