Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations?
(02-21-2022, 11:01 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well, I think if we did it this way, with retaining Spain and Reiff, then OT would be the pick at 31. But I understand your point. I did build in some margin to both the DT and CB signings (assuming 10 million for both). If we were to let Hill walk in free agency, that would give us about 9 million more to work with, which would mean we could sign a RT like Morgan Moses or Trent Brown. That would be a significant upgrade, along with keeping Spain and signing Connor Williams.

If we do that, then I think it would be wise to draft a DT in the first two rounds, though. We saw what our pass rush looked like without a rotation at 3T and it was, at times, anemic. Hubbard and Reader are excellent run defenders, but don't offer too much on the pass rushing front. Having that Ogunjobi/Hill rotation next to Hendrickson gave him a fair number of 1 on 1s, which is why I think he was as successful as he was this year. If we don't re-sign either and just draft a rookie to replace them, I would bet that our pass rush would be even worse this year and Hendrickson may regress.

Maybe we cheap out on CB and only sign Apple but draft a CB in the first or second round to make up that money to sign another impact offensive lineman.

We have options, but I think you're right. We can't sign everything this off season. We're going to have to pick an area where we rely on the draft.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this how an upgrade to an OL would play out?

More 1st downs lead to More sustained drives which leads to more scoring which means that the defense was on the sideline more. This would lead to a fresher defense, so maybe the drop off isn’t as great.

I know it doesn’t work exactly like this, but in theory… and my mind, it makes a lot of sense.

The bengals were 12th at 30:42 in TOP. If they can get just one more minute of TOP they would Be top 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations? - Bengalbug - 02-21-2022, 12:12 PM