Poll: Hopkins to OG if a C is added?
Yes, move him to OG
Release him
Keep him at C, he's fine
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth Moving Hopkins Back to OG?
I see talk about wanting to upgrade the C position, and I think it makes sense if the Bengals can find an actual upgrade for a not-crazy cost since OT and OG also need taken care of and are higher priority.
But what I also see a lot of is people talking about cutting Hopkins to use the $6 mill in saved cap to (help) cover the new C.

Rather than that idea, I wonder if it would actually be worthwhile to try moving Hopkins to either LG or RG vs cutting him if a C upgrade is added. Hopkins is entering the final year of his contract and could give that extra year for Carman to develop if he needs it.

It's worth pointing out that back when Hopkins was drafted, many experts felt his best spot on the OL was LG. It fit his profile of being an athletic, quality pass-blocking OL.
Hopkins also started at RG back in 2018 when Pollack previously was the OL coach.
Hopkins allowed 4 sacks that year and just 2 penalties. His pass-blocking PFF grade was 72.8, and his run-blocking grade was 53.0.
Many did not like Hopkins at RG that year because of his lack of ability in the run game.

Keep in mind that when healthy (which is now), Hopkins is a better pass blocker than any other IOL who was on the team last season.
Hopkins also would provide that backup option for C if an injury were to occur.

Would you consider keeping Hopkins but moving him to OG if the Bengals decide to upgrade the C position?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Worth Moving Hopkins Back to OG? - ochocincos - 02-25-2022, 05:27 PM