Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keep in mind - 2023 and beyond
(02-25-2022, 09:49 AM)pally Wrote: There is an intangible with Bates that we have to remember…virtually every single one of his teammates has publically said they want him re signed. This is the first big negotiation of the so-called new era.  Jessie is a team captain and leader.  The vast majority of fans want him re signed.  What will it say about the team if they don’t get it done?  What message will it send to his teammates and potential free agents if the player consistently held up as someone who does things the right way doesn’t get his money?  The Bengals credibility is on the line.

Doing things the right way?  With all due respect, what does that does that mean?

Bates admitted he played like crap this season due to worrying about his contract. Is that right? 

He ranked #37 at his position with 1 INT, 3 Pass Breakups, gave up an 80% completion rate, a QBR over 120, lowest number of receptions but most yards... He did play great in the playoffs.  So what does he deserve?  15 game performance or 4 in the playoffs? 

I'm the biggest Mike Brown critic on this board but I do not blame him for tagging Bates. Put it together for the season and playoffs - that is what the highest paid players should be held to...

Byard #1 Safety in 2021 is at $14M, as is Budda Baker, & Mathieu - multiple pro bowls. I'd offer Bates $14M based on 2020 and the playoffs, he refuses, then tag.

From the past several decades watching this team one thing has always been true; players always want to stay together.

What else is true; these are pros that understand the biz, they play with different players every year and they are fine.

Another truth: Bates is a leader on defense, but so is Reader, Bell, Hilton, Wilson, Hubbard.

Last truth; Bates will be a Bengal next year regardless, it is so odd to me that fans are so worked up over this... 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keep in mind - 2023 and beyond - pally - 02-24-2022, 02:02 PM
RE: Keep in mind - 2023 and beyond - pally - 02-25-2022, 09:49 AM
RE: Keep in mind - 2023 and beyond - casear2727 - 02-25-2022, 05:56 PM