Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy answer to our short yardage probems.
(02-28-2022, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: LBs line up differently for two different reasons.

1.  In short yardage situations we run the ball more often when Burrow lines up under center.

2.  When Burrow receives the ball in shotgun he can throw immediately.  Under center he has to take at least a two step drop.  A LB lined up in the gap at the LOS can still drop in coverage if Burrow drops to pass.  A LB lined up in the gap at the LOS has no chance to drop even a step playing against Burrow in the gun.

You don't have a video of Perine making the first down in order to prove you are right.  Instead you play a video of Perine getting stuffed and play "make believe".  There is no way to say that the play would have unfolded exactly the same way if Burrow lines up under center.

You said so yourself that your opinion was based on "common sense" i.e. what "commonly" happens.  But stats prove that what "commonly happens" is that RBs convert more often in short yardage situations when they get the ball in the shotgun formation than with the QB under center. 

So that puts the burden on you to explain what was so "uncommon" about this particular play with Perine that would make the results different from what "common sense" tells us would more likely happen. 

But the linebacker wasn't dropping to pass! He was coming up on a run blitz!

You ignore points and then throw out all that garbage instead of actually debating my points.

I made all my points about the linebackers loading the line, playing the run, even the safety playing the run, and you have yet to even attempt to argue how Perine wouldn't have gotten the extra step he needed if he had gotten started running towards the line at the snap and had more momentum.

My proof is right there.  If Perine had been running at the line from the snap, he would have gotten the needed yardage because the defense collapsed the line at the snap.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy answer to our short yardage probems. - BFritz21 - 02-28-2022, 01:55 PM