Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does Burrow like the 5 wide sets because the line is trash or because
He simply likes being 5 out?

If Burrow’s brain prefers 5 wide sets then it’s smart to address WR/TE and put decent money into both the line and WR/TE. With this said it’s a given Chase, Boyd, and Tee will be in on these sets. The TE and RB will be interchangeable. This year we tended to go with Perine and Uzomah. I know ppl love Uzomah and i do too. Would you rather we do any of the 4 following:

1. Put Mixon in Perines spot and trust him as a blocker if Burrow does have to check the RB to block. This cost no money.

2. Go out and get a running back whose already a good blocker and just plug him into Perines role. This will likely cost some million. Anyone established that can actually block will be a hot commodity.

3. Let Perine go and trust Evans? Cost nothing to just give Perine’s role to Evans.

4. Give up on Sample and get another established TE and run the 5 wide set with 2 TEs. This is tough because with Sample still under contract you are giving up on a 2nd round pick while he’s still young. And you double whammy yourself because this move would cost decent money.

My conventional wisdom says we already have too much money in skill positions. But the line will be better next year no matter what. So it’s possible we get more time in the pocket and at that point we’d need guys that can win routes. Then you have to add in Burrow isn’t really a checkdown guy. He usually throws to one of his first looks. So in that case you kinda want everyone in the 5 wide set to be able to win against their man. So getting another 5 million plus TE in that case would be smart. Doing this is going to affect your ability to bring in a defender tho.

After we fix the line we will probably have one more position we can address. I guess the question is do you give Burrow his unstoppable personnel for his favorite offensive set. Or do you go in house and run with Evans and Uzomah as your 2 non WRs in that set? Evans is not a good blocker and i cannot imagine a big jump in the off-season so that to me is asking a lot. He is a great runner tho, so if we theoretically are getting more time and better protection a player like Evans could have a breakout year because the RB won’t be asked to block as much.

Idk what you do here.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Does Burrow like the 5 wide sets because the line is trash or because - Housh - 02-28-2022, 02:12 PM