Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations?
(03-01-2022, 11:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a great point, and one that I'd like to add a little reinforcement to.  I'll go so far as to say that with putting a strong line in front of Burrow, in a couple years he won't need "top level" skill players to pick teams apart with and put big points on the board.  As time goes by, Burrow will be making stars out of relative unknowns, so long as he has a little time to survey the field.

(03-01-2022, 12:15 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: And with rookie contracts being up for several guys in a few years, you'd almost think that's what is going to have to happen.  

The window in the NFL to be successful doesn't last forever.  It seems it's usually a few years.  I'm not saying the team should screw themselves for the future, but it's not like they're going to easily build a decade-long dynasty.  Strike now and get that line top-notch.  

(03-01-2022, 12:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having a strong OL and a stout defense worked for a long, long time with Brady and the Patriots, as he was able to turn average receivers into household names with smart play design and quick thinking.

(03-01-2022, 12:33 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Very true!  Brady was also taking some team friendly contracts which helped as well.  I don't think it's possible to have a long-lasting dynasty in this league without that.  If every guy is looking to get paid every time his contract is up (or won't allow any restructuring) it's nearly impossible to fund the team without a lot of turnover. 

Looking at the Bengals team this past season, I think everyone would agree they would have been an unstoppable force if their OL was better.  Now they're in the spot of having to balance it out on both sides of the ball.  Trying to keep that delicate balance I think is going to lead to a middling OL again.  The defense got them to the SB, but the OL lost it. 

Agree with everything said here. Bring back our own from last year that helped us to the Superbowl and get the O-line 
fortified now in front of Burrow for years to come and we could become that next dynasty like the Patriots were with Brady.

As Sunset says Burrow with a great OL can make stars out of mid level NFL Receivers like Brady did. Burrow has fantastic 
accuracy already and is great at throwing to his Receivers on the run. Also think Burrow is selfless like Brady in that he would
take team friendly contracts after his initial big contract to stick around if we keep a top O-line in front of him.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are we being realistic with Free Agency expectations? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-01-2022, 02:39 PM