Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pac-man says Bengals are close to signing Jensen to a 3 year $39 million deal
(03-06-2022, 03:26 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Then you allocate 3 M for draft and 11 M for injury replacement players. It still the same total amount of 14 m. I know the combination is 14 M. I didn't bother to look at how each amount breaks down nor do I care.  It doesn't change the total amount. You still have 4 M left and that's being generous. 

That's assuming you can sign Jensen for 12 M when he'll probably cost 13 M . That's assuming Corbett costs 9 M when it probably more like 10 M. That's assuming 5 M for depth players when in reality it could be 10 M. 

I'm being generous saying we'd have 4 M left over after we sign these players. It might cost even 7 M more than that. That would make it - 3M

Even using your erroneous numbers it would only increase the cap from 4M to 8M not to 15M . Draft cost 4M less than I expected. You simply add that to total. 4M + 4M is 8 M.

Why did you add allocate money for injury replacements back to total. It is subtracted because that is set aside to sign players off street because of injuries. It is not usable cap space therefore it is subtracted.

The injured player counts towards cap and so does replacement player. Do you get that? Is that hard to understand?

Giants had 340 games lost last year due to injury. That's 20 players missing full season equivalent. League min salary is 1.1 M. Lets assume replacement player makes a small amount more than league min. Lets say replacement player average salary is 1.5 M. Giants spent extra 30M on replacement players that was added to cap space. Do you get that?

Now My assumption of 11M set aside for replacements players before free agency is a conservative estimate. It probably is even more than that. And you subtract that from salary cap before free agency. Do you get that ? You subtract. Hard to understand ?

Trae Waynes lost 12 games to injury last year. Who did the Bengals sign to replace him and how much did his replacement count towards the salary cap?

The Giants placed Daniel Jones and Sterling Shepard on IR the same week. They promoted Jaylon Smith and Jarren Williams from the practice squad. Smith and Williams combined cap hit was $367,000. Or $1,833,000 or 83% less than the $1.1M each you budgeted to replace them. But, you’re getting ready to tell me that neither played a full season. You’re right. Smith played 4 games for the Giants and Williams played 6 games. Based upon the per game prorated salary of a $1.1M free agent; Smith’s cap hit was 27% less and Williams’ was 61% less than you budgeted. Combined their cap hit was 52% less than you budgeted. You don’t need $7M for injuries.

Based upon salary projects for Jensen and Corbett you can lessen their year 1 cap hit by $1M each.

So between the draft, injuries, and those two free agent contracts that gives you an extra $8-10M in cap space. Combined with the $4M you had left over makes $12-14M in cap space. Plus the $5M you buddy for depth signings gives $17-19M to work on those other contracts and depth.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pac-man says Bengals are close to signing Jensen to a 3 year $39 million deal - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-06-2022, 12:17 PM