Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Which Jail Do Transgender People Go To?
While this thread did seem silly at first glance, I think it does point to what I believe is a core issue with transgenderism, which is determining "fairness" when someone decides to identify as the opposite sex.

In BFritz's example, he appears to be alluding to it being unfair for a man to identify as a woman to avoid being raped/face male-on-male violence. Bengalzona rightfully points out that men can get raped by women, however I don't think it necessarily refutes the premise. While men can certainly be raped and beaten by women, I think it's important to stay intellectually honest with ourselves and admit that a man can fend off a rape attempt or other violent attack from a woman much easier than he can when it's a man.

Notice that Bengalzona said "A group of 300 lb women". There's a reason why the example was framed that way....... because subconsciously we see women as inferior strength wise to men. It's not something we even really consider questioning in these types of "what if" scenarios because it's simply a fact that men are stronger than women. Thus, when talking about stuff like this it always takes a "group" of women. In this case, it's a group of 300 lb women, further driving the point.

So then, we find ourselves at one of the core issues of transgenderism. And I'm not trying to derail the thread by adding this to the topic but this isn't just about prisons, although that's what BFritz was pointing to. It relates to other things like athletics, which is no doubt a hot topic right now.

I get that people want to say things like "Why does anyone care if someone wants to be transgender when it doesn't affect their lives". And you're right, to an extent. When someone wants to identify as the opposite sex it doesn't hurt anyone else on the immediate surface. However..... when you start to apply your identity to things like institutions it DOES affect other people to the point that a particular issue has to be dealt with concerning whatever that institution is.

In this case, the issue is men identifying as women to avoid their equals so that they can more easily be able to defend themselves against their weaker counterparts (women), which creates a sphere of "unfairness" with prison sentencing  Transgenderism leads to society having to make these types of judgement calls when situations like this arise, so people aren't able to unfairly benefit off of their gender identification. Like men going on to identify as women and play in women's sports.

It leads to the question of "Well, is this really fair?". If it isn't, what do you do about it? If it is fair, what's the rationale for why it's fair, and does that rationale make for a better society or a worse one? Do you apply one stroke of the brush? Or do you have to treat every scenario as a new canvas?

Sociopathicsteelerfan points out that it depends on what state and county you're in. While that's true, I believe this only exacerbates the issue and doesn't address the problems created by allowing individuals to choose what type of prison they go to based on their gender identification. That seems like a pretty serious precedent to set. Not only does the "fairness" of it all need to be taken into account, but as you go down the rabbit hole other issues would eventually start to come up such as how prison populations are affected, etc. The way BFritz presented the topic might seem silly/simplistic, but it's actually quite complicated.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which Jail Do Transgender People Go To? - Matt_Crimson - 03-06-2022, 06:01 PM