Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Which Jail Do Transgender People Go To?
(03-06-2022, 02:31 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The showering with women might still be a perk  Hilarious

I agree we should make it safer but that's an entirely different discussion.

The driver from my wreck is in now and I don't know anyone that has talked to him in years but word was that he wasn't doing too well in there.

Well, that benefit would cost them a lot, wouldn't you say? Being transgender is usually more than just saying "I am a woman." Most trans people go through hormone therapy, change their presentation from one gender to another and often alter their behaviors as well.

Plus, trans people are some of the most heavily persecuted minorities in the entire country. Claiming to be trans would essentially quadruple their chances of being part of a violent crime (rape, murder, mugging, assault etc).

Especially if this person is actually a criminal and has criminal friends (say, part of a gang), once they got out they almost certainly wouldn't accept them back.

All that so they could look, but not touch, women in the shower (because if you ever assaulted a woman in prison, they're probably doing something about that)? That seems a bit steep. So much so, that I doubt anyone would bother doing it.

Now, there may be some trans people out there that say they're trans but then don't take hormones, don't change their presentation or their behaviors and don't present in any way as a gender other than the one associated with their sex. But I imagine that portion is so small that it's insignificant. And I doubt they'd be given approval to move to the other prison without changing a single aspect of themselves.

I think a really unfortunate circumstance of our prison system is the implication that criminals deserve whatever happens to them in prison. As if being in a prison with no freedoms (and often being put to work for almost no money) for years at a time isn't punishment enough, they also have to worry about being raped or being beaten by other prisoners. Like that's "part of the sentence." It just perpetuates crime and increases recidivism. I feel like the purpose of prison has become completely lost over time...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which Jail Do Transgender People Go To? - CJD - 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM