Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Bengals need to change the way in which they structure contracts?
(03-09-2022, 02:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't understand your question. 

The fact remains they tried to bring him back but couldn't. This has been an ongoing trend with some of our best players recently. 

Yes, they have brought in good FAs to replace them, but I'm a bit disturbed with their inability to keep their own recently.

True, but J24 made an excellent point. If we can get the same player for the same salary but lower hit on the guaranteed money we must do that now and every year moving forward if we are going to continue to have over 250M in escrow.

We did that with Hendrickson who cost the same  salary but with less guaranteed money and he was a better player for us.  Now you will probably say we got very lucky and I wouldnt disagree.  But the guaranteed money aspect is real. If we dont have the cash in hand to put in escrow to cover every year of every penny of guaranteed money we wont be able to sign players. 

If we had a billionaire owner that could fund the escrow we would be golden. The Saints can still sign players even being -33M in cap space because they can restructure contracts with bonuses and contracts of guaranteed dollars simply due to the ability of their ownership to fund the escrow account with unlimited dollars.  They cleared $52M just in restructures last year.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do the Bengals need to change the way in which they structure contracts? - casear2727 - 03-09-2022, 02:15 PM