Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Goodberry's thoughts on PFF grades
(03-12-2022, 06:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Let's do it like this... A roster is made up of 53 players but let's give an estimate of saying 30 players play offense and defense on sundays. That's what 960 players for 32 teams?

There are roughly 65 to 80 snaps per offense and defense in a game we will do a quick estimating and split it at 73 so that's roughly 70,000 plays PFF has to review and they do it in around a 24 hour period.

I don't buy it.

They cut some corners for non targeted coverage scores but they’ve gotten better at actually doing it as they’ve grown.

The biggest issue is checks in coverage really really make it difficult who is responsible. Like I once saw Bill Belichick say even he struggles to know exactly who blows a coverage when they watch tape…even of his own guys! The reason being is guys make checks and so even the called play can have variations based on what the players checked to, so coaches have to ask the players in film what the check was and then get each players perspective to actually know what the issue is. You can usually blame one of two guys but that’s about where it ends for an outsider.

Offensively this isnt as bad so I don’t mind seeing skill player grades or even some run defense grades but it starts getting complicated beyond that.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Goodberry's thoughts on PFF grades - Au165 - 03-12-2022, 06:23 PM