Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade?
(03-12-2022, 10:01 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Interesting take.

Salaries are kind of a difficult measure due to when they were signed, bonuses, etc.

That said, in 2019 he signed a 5 year $50M extension with $35M Guarantee - the largest for any RT ever, and made him a top 5 highest paid tackle in the league, not just RTs.

His numbers are little lower than his pre-injury numbers in 2019 which were crazy but 2021 are still solid coming off an injury.

Pass Blocking

It looks like 4 RTs rank higher than him with pass blocking:

Johnson at 82.6
Morton 79.4
O'Neil at 78.1
Havenstein 77.4

Collins was 74.3

I'm not sure the stat but one Cowboy's insider podcast mentioned Dak held the ball the longest or an extremely long time (as does our boy), not sure exactly but I'll check if I get time.

Run Blocking:

Collins is at 89.7  3rd best amongst all Tackles in the NFL

Compared to the list above:

Havenstein 82.2
Johnson 76.8
Morton 70.7
O'Neil 65.9

Overall
Johnson 83.3. (Johnson caught a TD pass that gives him a bit of a bump)
Collins 80.2
Morton 77.5
O'Neil 73.7

*Johnson is also 3 years older than Collins and Havenstein 2 years older.

"My dominant concern is his run blocking is so much better than his pass blocking"

There is a gap but not because he isnt vey good at pass blocking, his rush block is simply overwhelming and is on average 20 pts higher than the next 4 RTs...with better passing grades.

This guy is elite. His contract is almost unbelievable. 

Compared to our guys:

Collins, 8 penalties, 2 sacks

Jonah, 4 penalties, 8 sacks
Reiff, 1 penalty, 4 sacks 
Prince, 7 penalties, 3 sacks
RT Combined, 8 penalties, 7 sacks

I dont think I see your point on Collins though, Coach?   I absolutely agree with Norwell.

I have some questions on Collins that have not been mentioned here and trying to learn more about and confirm, but the guy is very good and changes our offense in my opinion.

His ability or his contribution to the team would be excellent. He missed 20-21 straight games due to injury and suspension. If we give away a third rounder and second rounder we give away a potential Higgins and Logan Wilson. I’d rather draft at #31 a tackle and go get a top center and guard in FA.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade? - Soonerpeace - 03-12-2022, 10:08 PM