Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Goodberry's thoughts on PFF grades
(03-12-2022, 06:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean better in what way? If your viewing it as just some random peoples take on performance versus being “right” or fact  then sure it’s better than nothing. The issue is a lot of people will use it as some sort of irrefutable fact on the performance or skill of a player, which it isn’t, and so  that is where a lot of the disdain inside the league comes from. Literally a coach can grade a play as a + for a guy and PFF will rip them.

The best way to look at it is, guys more knowledgeable than most fans think “this” about a play but that may only be accurate 70% of the time. Coverage is where it gets really bad for them with pass blocking being kind of close behind.

Better from a fan being able to try to determine good or bad.
No fan is ever going to be 100% right without knowing exactly what the play call was, which no one ever will.
PFF is literally the equivalent of a fan trying to determine tape, but they're given a set of guidelines/training of what to look for.

Since I am not a part of the team, I need something to help me determine if a player is potentially doing good or bad.

Alternatively, I could just not bother trying to determine that and just go with the flow since I'm not on the team and a coach, but if I did that, I probably wouldn't waste my time with a message board. I'd just be DennyG2 with the blind optimism/homerism  Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Goodberry's thoughts on PFF grades - ochocincos - 03-12-2022, 10:30 PM