Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Adapt To New CBA
I just don't care about Baseball anymore. The league was already incredibly stilted to the point where many teams feel like minor league teams of other teams. There is no salary cap or salary floor and it shows in the contracts given out by the bigger teams, to the point where it feels like if a smaller team ever has success, they basically have until the end of their stars' rookie contracts to win a world series.

It's a stupid system and it seems like it's getting worse.

The thing that makes the NFL amazing is that every team spends up to the cap (or near the cap) basically by requirement, so whether you are successful or not is not how much money you spend, but how well you spend that money.

Whereas being successful in the MLB comes down to either spending more money than most other teams or having a Royals-esque perfect storm where all your prospects hit the majors at the same time and you go on a run with low cost super stars.

I've had this issue with baseball for years, but the Reds have at least tried to compete in this stilted system for the last 5 to 10 years (the Votto era) so they held my interest between football seasons.

But this fire sale is just disgusting and has made me lose all interest in baseball. I'll probably check in on them from time to time to see if they go on one of the aforementioned magical runs, but I think the Votto era is essentially dead and once he leaves the team, I expect them to go into a deep hibernation of non-competitiveness.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Adapt To New CBA - kevin - 03-13-2022, 10:31 AM
RE: Reds Adapt To New CBA - kevin - 03-15-2022, 06:33 AM
RE: Reds Adapt To New CBA - samhain - 03-16-2022, 03:36 PM
RE: Reds Adapt To New CBA - CJD - 03-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Reds Adapt To New CBA - The D.O.Z. - 03-17-2022, 01:13 PM