Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Would you defend your country?
Democrats probably think "many European countries (and Canada) already have the health care, social programs, social safety nets and general political leaning that I wish America would have, so if I need to flee America, I'd probably end up doing okay, maybe even better. Especially if a refugee situation allows me permanent residency in one of these EU countries."

It can be exhausting trying to change this country for the better, at least from a left leaning perspective, so maybe Democrats are more likely to believe the country is not worth dying over.

You saw a lot of celebrities were talking about moving to Canada if Trump were elected President. Most of them didn't end up going through with it (or any of them? I'm not sure), but that seed is in the minds of many left leaning people in America already.

I also think right wing people generally show more bravado than left wing people do. I'm not saying the Republicans and Independents are lying, but I think it's really easy to say "I'd definitely die for my country" when no one is asking you to and you are relatively certain no one ever will ask you to.

The left wing were the ones protesting the wars in Vietnam, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan, so they probably already have a stilted view against fighting to defend this country (I know that proxy wars aren't the same as being invaded, but the sentiment still holds firm, I think).

The left wing is also made up of a variety of people who have often felt betrayed by the government, the "system" as it were, of this country. Women, Black people, Asian people and Hispanic people all voted Democrat by at least a 10 point margin in 2016, 2018 and 2020 and each of those groups of people have, whether presently or previously, been heavily discriminated against by America or American people in some way. So I think there's a fair chance those groups of people would be far less inclined, statistically, to put their lives on the line for a system they believe is corrupt, racist, sexist or otherwise irredeemable.

And that's not even accounting for LGBTQ+ people and other minorities that are not captured in voting data like religion (I think Muslim people likely vote disproportionately democrat as well, although if that is not the case, I wouldn't be completely surprised as religion is inherently conservative.)

The results of the survey make perfect sense to me.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you defend your country? - Stewy - 03-15-2022, 11:13 PM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 02:29 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 06:29 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - CJD - 03-16-2022, 07:53 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - Stewy - 03-16-2022, 09:09 PM
Would you defend your country? - Rotobeast - 03-16-2022, 09:54 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 04:44 PM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-17-2022, 05:32 PM