Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Would you defend your country?
I always think of these poll questions regarding what-if scenarios are interesting. In a true SHTF scenario like an invasion of our country, the answers to this poll are meaningless. There are LARPers that would be hiding in their basements and there are folks that could never see themselves holding a rifle that would volunteer to protect their family and friends.

I think the answer to the disparity in parties for the answers, though, is tucked away in both the sex and racial differences. Black women have historically been the most dependent Democratic voters since the GOP's Southern Strategy. Women were at 40% stay and fight and black respondents were at 38% stay and fight. I would have to really look at the data and run some stuff in SPSS to do more than just speculation, but I would suspect that is where the push occurs for the Democratic responses. I do think the racial breakdown in the data was the more interesting one.

Obviously, I don't want to assign motives to anyone and everything I am saying is pure speculation and based on generalities, so take them for what they are. The black community having such a low rate of defensive attitudes is likely tied to the generations of racial animosity and a lack of a feeling of duty to the protection of the country as a result of this. The Hispanic sample had a higher rate of defensive attitude than the white sample, which makes sense. With more of them having a more recent emigration story and coming from countries where violence like would be experienced during an invasion was something that caused their emigration it would create more of a sense of indebtedness to the country than decedents of peoples enslaved by/within this country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you defend your country? - Stewy - 03-15-2022, 11:13 PM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 02:29 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 06:29 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - CJD - 03-16-2022, 07:53 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - Belsnickel - 03-16-2022, 08:04 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - Stewy - 03-16-2022, 09:09 PM
Would you defend your country? - Rotobeast - 03-16-2022, 09:54 AM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-16-2022, 04:44 PM
RE: Would you defend your country? - treee - 03-17-2022, 05:32 PM