Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL Free Agents - Bengals vs. Steelers
I just realized that the Steelers also signed a RT, G, and C. Comparing the contracts (all numbers approximate):

RT:
Bengals - Lael Collins, 3 yrs/$30 mil ($10m per)
Steelers - Chukwuma Okorafor, 3 yrs/$30 mil ($10m per)

G:
Bengals - Alex Cappa, 4 yrs/$40 mil ($10m per)
Steelers - James Daniels, 3 yrs/$27 mil ($9m per)

C:
Bengals - Ted Karras, 3 yrs/$18 mil ($6m per)
Steelers - Mason Cole, 3 yrs/$15.75 mil ($5.25m per)

In a vacuum, I probably would have preferred Daniels to Cappa -- he's a younger player, more versatile (plays all inside positions), and I think he's slightly better (although I'm no OL guru ...), plus he's cheaper and the contract is shorter. But I recognize that Cappa has the intangibles we're looking for -- championship experience, played with Brady, etc. And his contract may end up being cheaper without incentives (4 yrs/$35 mil.) Cappa also graded better than Daniels last year, although he played on a better line with a better QB. So I'll trust our front office on this one.

I prefer Karras to Cole. He's a little older and slightly more expensive, but he's more versatile and a better player. And again, he has the championship/Brady (and Belichick) intangibles.

Collins v. Okorafor is no contest. Collins is a far better player, and we got him for the same price as the Steelers paid for the mediocre Okorafor. Should prove to be a great signing as long as he stays healthy and out of trouble.

So overall, I think the Bengals did a better job in signing OL FAs than the Steelers. I understand that it's far to early to compare FA success or contract values, but it still makes me happy ... Kudos to the Bengals front office!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
OL Free Agents - Bengals vs. Steelers - shanebo - 03-22-2022, 10:58 AM