Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL Free Agents - Bengals vs. Steelers
(03-22-2022, 10:58 AM)shanebo Wrote: I just realized that the Steelers also signed a RT, G, and C.  Comparing the contracts (all numbers approximate):

RT:
Bengals - Lael Collins, 3 yrs/$30 mil ($10m per)
Steelers - Chukwuma Okorafor, 3 yrs/$30 mil ($10m per)

G:
Bengals - Alex Cappa, 4 yrs/$40 mil ($10m per)
Steelers - James Daniels, 3 yrs/$27 mil ($9m per)

C:
Bengals - Ted Karras, 3 yrs/$18 mil ($6m per)
Steelers - Mason Cole, 3 yrs/$15.75 mil ($5.25m per)

In a vacuum, I probably would have preferred Daniels to Cappa -- he's a younger player, more versatile (plays all inside positions), and I think he's slightly better (although I'm no OL guru ...), plus he's cheaper and the contract is shorter.  But I recognize that Cappa has the intangibles we're looking for -- championship experience, played with Brady, etc.  And his contract may end up being cheaper without incentives (4 yrs/$35 mil.)  Cappa also graded better than Daniels last year, although he played on a better line with a better QB.  So I'll trust our front office on this one.

I prefer Karras to Cole.  He's a little older and slightly more expensive, but he's more versatile and a better player.  And again, he has the championship/Brady (and Belichick) intangibles.

Collins v. Okorafor is no contest.  Collins is a far better player, and we got him for the same price as the Steelers paid for the mediocre Okorafor.  Should prove to be a great signing as long as he stays healthy and out of trouble.

So overall, I think the Bengals did a better job in signing OL FAs than the Steelers.  I understand that it's far to early to compare FA success or contract values, but it still makes me happy ...  Kudos to the Bengals front office!

Absolutely no way would I prefer Daniels to Cappa.  The Bears had zero interest in re-signing their own 24 yr old lineman... Im surprised Daniels received the amount he did from the Steelers after the comments by the Bears.  I'll take the guy whose team really wanted to keep him.
Determinator of Takes
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: OL Free Agents - Bengals vs. Steelers - casear2727 - 03-22-2022, 01:24 PM