Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation
Continuing on:

II. Have bodies, Need Upgrades

1. Tight End. 3-4 on 53. 1-2 on PS.

Starter: Hurst
Backups: Sample, Wilcox.
PS: Washington (converted from TE), Moss.

TE is not a priority position in our offense. But losing CJ hurts. Hurst may be a better receiver but not as good a blocker. He is half the price, though. On a 1 year deal. This could be the last year if the Drew Sample experience as well. We do not have a TE3 signed ATM (it would be Washington ATM) and the two guys we have are in the last year of their deals.

TE market was getting thin when we signed Hurst. Draft has got to be the way to go. But that is dicey, too. There is not really a stud TE this year. McBride is a reach at #31 and no way would I pick a TE with CB/DT/OL needing help. And with talented DEs, WRs, and maybe even LBs out there. If not McBride, this pick could be TE3 this year. Ruckert was in a cast recently and the kid from A&M tested so poorly he is plummeting. Rd 3 at the earliest for me. Unless we acquire extra picks. If we have 4 picks in the first 3 I could happily burn one on a TE. Woods may be a day 3 guy, or late day 2. Still, getting a guy who can be a receiving threat if something happens to Hurst is needed, Sample + Wilcox is terrifying in terms of pass catching. Though both Moss & Washington would be better.

2. Safety. 4 on 53. 1-2 on PS

Starters: Bell, Bates
Backups: B. Wilson (KR), Michael Thomas
PS: T. Henderson

The starters are set, but both the contracts expire next year. We could tag Bates again. But even if we had commitments from both guys to come back, the reserves are a bit untested. Ricardo Allen retired. Tre Flowers, though listed as a CB, had some traditional safety duties last year (cover the TE). Brandon Wilson, who is an excellent KR guy, is coming off a major injury. We picked up Thomas (who made the Pro-Bowl as a special teamer) mid-season. Henderson has been on the PS the last couple years and is more of a SS, while Wilson & Thomas are more FS types, and more valuable on special teams than at safety. An injury to Bell or Bates would really hurt us.

We like to run 3 safety stuff, moving Bell down into the box, but we really cannot do it much with group of reserves. There are some pretty good safeties that could be around late first (Daxton Hill, Brisker, Cine) or maybe 2nd/3rd (Pitre, Cook, Joseph). If we get an extension done with Bates, there is a bit less urgency. Honey Badger is out there in FA, but would be costly. Gotta think the only way that happens is if Bates is traded.

3. Wide Receiver. 6-7 on 53. 2-3 on PS

Starters: Chase, Higgins, Boyd.
Reserves: Mike Thomas, Morgan Jr., Taylor, Irwin.
PS: P. Williams Jr

We initially carried 7 last year, before going down to 6 for most of the year and calling up Taylor in the POs to return punts (and score 2 pt conversions!). I'd rank Irwin 7th as he has less special teams impact than the others. Thomas is probably the best receiver (or Taylor in the slot), but counting on one of these guys to make a lot of plays in the passing game may be a fools errand. With more time for Joe to throw? Maybe. But another pass catcher as injury insurance (or punt returner), both wide and/or in the slot, seems like a good idea. Plus, Boyd seems to be slowing and Chase/Higgins are gonna be EXPENSIVE in a couple years. Prudence might make a WR a good choice, but it is not pressing. Hard to see WR at #31, but depending on how FA goes, maybe round 2. Rd 3 on, certainly if there is value.

4. Linebacker. 5-6 on 53. 2 on PS

Starters: L. Wilson, Pratt
Reserves: Davis-Gaither, Bailey, Bachie, Johnston
PS: Jones

Wilson broke out in a big way last year and Pratt really improved in the last half of the season. But he's on the last year of his deal. ADG was improving before getting hurt. Bailey, Bachie, and Johnston all showed some competence at various times. But we really do not have a great LB. Either as a pass rusher or cover guy (though Wilson is good). I doubt we use a high pick on a LB, unless Lloyd or Dean is staring at us at #31. But a round 3/4 pick might make some sense, or later. Cannot see us spending in FA unless it is at a discount.

5. Defensive End/Edge. 4-5 on 53. 1-2 on PS

Starters: Henderickson, Hubbard
Reserves: Ossai, Kareem, C. Cample (DE/DT)
PS: Spence, Hubert

This is a unit that gets Ossai and Hubert back from injury. Kareem missed a lot of time last year, but graded out vs. PFF extremely well (86.3!), but my memory does not remember a lot of pass rush. There was that incredible play vs. Denver, of course. Who knows what Ossai looks like off of injury, and we did not really know what he looked like before injury. You cannot have too much pass rush, but given the group we have, I think we'd prioritize interior pass rushers if they are around (Wyatt, Winfrey, Hall, Leal, etc). Still, it is a deep class of pass rushers and there could be good value in round 2 or if we trade back (Mafe, Ebitketie, Hall, Jackson, Engabare) or maybe even round 3 (Bonitto, Sanders). Plus, Ojabo could fall to us as well. In round 1 or 2. Is that a chance worth taking? I tend to think not at #31. But at #63? Probably yes.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-26-2022, 08:01 PM