Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation
(03-24-2022, 04:52 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: OK, current state of the roster.  Spotrac has 61 guys signed.  Obviously, some of those guys (I count 12-13) were prinarily PS guys last year. We have overflow at some spots and shortages at others. And this is with the 61 we have, draft/remaining FAs or a wish list not included.

I.  Starters

A.  Offense
Burrow; Mixon; Chase, Higgins, Boyd; Hurst, J. Williams, Carman, Karras, Cappa, Collins.

B.  Defense
Hendrickson, Reader, BJ Hill, Hubbard; L. Wilson, Pratt; Auzie, Apple, Hilton; Bell, Bates.

C. Special Teams
McPherson (PK), Chrisman (P), Harris
C. Evans/ B. Wilson (KR); Taylor (PR).  

Takeaways:

1.  We are basically talking about depth from here

On defense, 10/11 starters from a top 10 defense return. With Hill replacing Ogunjobi at DT. Hill rated higher than Larry O last year, and started multiple playoff games, and the SB. People will point to Apple, but he played well after a bumpy start. I think the FO would be comfortable with those 11 starting.  We won't pay a FA big money (no space). If one comes on the cheap or we land one in the draft, great. But we don't NEED a starter.

On offense, 4 FAs as starters + Carman for Spain with the rest the same. The three OL FA's all represent upgrades. Collins (Reiff/Prince) and Cappa (Adeniji) the biggest. Karras has legit C/G versatility. Hurst for CJ is a cheaper replacement. Probably a better receiver downfield but not as good an in-line blocker, but at half the price. Carman being the really only unproven guy.  He showed flashes last year. If we luck into a stud IOL in the draft, fine, but we don't have to reach for a starter nor pay a FA. Just like on D, we don't need to reach for a starter.

Special teams is a tad more complicated. McPherson is locked in. Harris is back but 38. Huber is a FA, and we have Chrisman signed. I'd expect a competition if Huber wants to return. Now, Evans did a pretty good job returning kickoffs.  Wilson was excellent before getting hurt last year. Taylor was on the practice squad all last year. He is signed, but his fringe roster status makes me think we probably draft a guy who can return punts.

2.  Biggest worries

1. LG.  Carman. Unproven.
2. CB2. Apple. Was improved play last year legit or fluke? 1st round talent.
3. P. Chrisman unproven. Guy semifinalist in college. Huber competition?
4. PR. Taylor not assured a spot on the 53. No other options.

Still, I do not think these are BIG worries. We have guys under contract who have proven adequate (or better) at those jobs in the past, with the exception of Carman.

Great stuff.  I would add depth at DT.  Even though they signed Tupuo, they need another penetrating 3T that can take advantage of the double teams on Reader.  One thing I hope for more of this year is rotation at DE (Get Ossai and Kareem in there...they won't need Hendrickson to play 95% of snaps, ditto Hubbard) and DT (Hopefully Tupou pushes Shelvin and gives Reader some snaps off and they need a player to help provide pressure from 3T when Hill is taking a breather).  I am not sure a player like that exists in the draft where the Bengals will be selecting.

They will also need a FA CB for depth behind Apple.  I am almost 100% certain they will be drafting CB at 31, unless the top 5 are gone.  

A FA CB before then would really open things up.  I am not sure what kind of character guy Haden is, nor do I think he would accept a backup role.  I kind of like Apple's phoenix, but I want better quality depth.  It is paper thin after those guys.  

I think D'Ante Smith's work ethic and love from the coaches will get everything out of Carman or he will find himself on the bench all season.  I know he (Carman) was injured at the end of the year, but still...he needs to prove it or Smith will take that job and never look back.  Smith is not as strong, but he is more athletic and longer...could be a better pulling guard.  

There is also the outside chance that Linderbaum falls to the Bengals and Karras moves to LG.  I actually think that would be our best case scenario...then guys like Carman and Smith are competing to be the first backup off the bench.  To be clear, for that to be my best case, I want another NFL CB with starting experience for depth.  I am pretty sure the Bengals want that as well.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation - SHRacerX - 03-27-2022, 11:56 AM