Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation
(03-28-2022, 01:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Thanks for the comment.

Just one note, when I was typing that post about biggest worries, it was in regard to the starters only. That is why it is under the heading, Starters. The depth discussion comes later, where, indeed, DT#2 behind Hill has to be at the top of the list, along with CB#4. I was intending to do all the posts at once, but kind of ran out of gas/time after the post on the starters, which kind of left everything hanging. Apologies if that made it unclear.

With the pause in the signings, I am hoping a Bates extension is in the works. Otherwise, I could see us basically sitting it out until after the draft. 

Got it.  No problem.  My mistake...

We haven't talked as much about it, and this seems so much about Bates' agent...he just got Hill the "biggest WR contract ever", and that is probably all that guy cares about to pimp himself.  It won't matter the structure or if it pushes Bates out of Cincy, nor will he care if the full contract is even likely to be paid....he just wants the flashy title of "biggest contract".  That guy has developed quite a name for himself and quite a reputation around the league.

That is fine, Jesse.  This team has reportedly offered you something like 13-14 million per year over 4 years and you want more.  Fine.  Good luck winning a Lombardi with a team like the Jets.  

I know the team loves Jesse and he was a big reason that the Bengals went on that run, but if he thinks he is worth more than double what a guy like Collins just got, think again.  Once he forces the Bengals to draft another safety this year, the writing will be on the wall and we will see if he plays ALL SEASON like the best safety in the league or if he ends up signing for about half what the Bengals offered him before the season elsewhere next season.  

With all the money being thrown at QBs and WRs now, you have to be a ridiculous talent at safety to get more money than a lot of CBs and LBs.  

To be clear, I was really pulling for him to sign and wanted him here, but he appears to be listening 100% to his agent and not common sense.  Sure, I would like 2 more million dollars on my annual check, but I sure as hell wouldn't leave my company for a 15% raise to go to another job where I have an entire new team and a new boss and have to move to a new town.  Probably a stupid analogy and I am in my 50s, but I am annoyed that this agent seems to be so rigid and this gap seems to be too much for Bates to have the stability of a done deal and make enough money to live his entire life after football by signing it today.  I just don't get it.

Sorry, guys, rant over...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation - SHRacerX - 03-29-2022, 08:09 AM