Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation
(03-24-2022, 05:03 PM)Nepa Wrote: Terrific analysis.

Although I don't know about the statement: "On defense, 10/11 starters from a top 10 defense return."  I don't think the Bengals were a top 10 defense.

During the regular season, the defense was 18th in yards allowed and 17th in points allowed.

Taken from the entire season, you are correct...they were probably average statistically, but they were tough against the run (huge in the AFC North) and they were trending to a top 10 defense (or higher) in the playoffs...and did so against the top competition.

It is very exciting to have them almost entirely back, and the draft will potentially add talent that will play this year, and quality depth.  Plus, Ossai could be an impact player, returning from injury.

One thing I keep preaching is the synergy of things on this team:  More pass rush equals better coverage grades.  Better offensive line doesn't just keep Burrow upright, but the running game could excel, which only adds a better play-action for Burrow.  

The possible synergy of an offense that can grind out drives and attack teams weakness with either run or pass, could have a huge payoff for the defense...statistically as well.  Getting the ball back to Burrow and company could allow the Bengals to play with bigger leads, allowing the defensive line to tee off on pass rush and the secondary to make some plays on balls in the air.

The Bills had the #1 ranked defense and I think a lot of their success (other than playing the Jets and Fins twice) was their offense being so strong. 

A revamped line could have the same effect here.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 Roster/FA Update + FA Finish & Draft Speculation - SHRacerX - 04-06-2022, 07:23 AM