Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG
(04-07-2022, 03:12 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I hear you on DT. For me the LG is more important than those options. I agree he would battle it out. But Carman was awful last year. Apple was good/serviceable. I do not think the top DT will be there at 31. Leaving Travis Jones. He would be a reach at 31 esp over Green or Zion. And he is more of a space eating NT. Isn't that what Reader does for us? And we took Sheldon another big body guy last year. I think we need more of a 3 tech guy. 

Our offense should be better than our defense. Joe Burrow is the most important player on this team and THE ONLY reason we will be in future Super Bowls and playoff games. IMO giving him the best protection is more important than a CB who may or may not beat out Apple. Odds are he will not beat out Apple and will be coming in off the bench as a 4th CB. Maybe later in the year he could sneak in there and take over sure. 

I would say the better odds are that Zion/Green beat out Carman. He was graded at 56.4 on PFF. That is straight up garbage. Of course I want him to do better and win the job given where we took him but it looks like we made a mistake and going from a 54 to lets say a70 would be massive esp with our other additions. I want to see Mixon running through holes and Burrow having all day to throw. 

At the end of the day I would be fine with a top DT or one of the top CBs. But every time I do a mock on PFF all the CBs that people want are gone. So are both the top DTs. So I would rather take Zion/Green than reach for a DT that does not really fit what we need or reach on the 5th/6th/7th CB off the board.

Carman was actually decent when he played some snaps at LG. And he was still better than Adeniji at RG too.
Not someone you can be confident will be solid-or-better starter though, for sure.

Also, you bring up 56.4 PFF grade being "garbage." That's not considered garbage nowadays. Or at least when comparing to the rest of the league.
Only 52 OGs had a 60+ grade. That means below 60 is still considered starter-level.

Last, let's break down the PFF grades Carman had at LG vs RG:
LG (103 snaps) - 74.2 run block, 64.3 pass block, 2 pressures, 2 penalties
RG (377 snaps) - 59.7 run block, 40.2 pass block, 17 pressures, 4 penalties, 5 QB hits

Yes, only 103 snaps at LG, so you can speculate that with more snaps he'd trend downward closer to what he did at RG, but the PFF data does indicate he'd be better at LG than RG.

If he performed all year like he did in his 103 LG snaps, he'd be 15th among all qualified guards in run block, 38th among all qualified guards in pass block.
That's solid-or-better, for sure.

I'm cautiously optimistic he'll be better at LG, but I would prefer Spain (or someone better) added in FA just in case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - ochocincos - 04-07-2022, 03:40 PM