Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG
(04-09-2022, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: None of us know how good he is right now.

I don't understand why you refuse to even try to understand this.  Many 2nd round picks get much better after their rookie season.  So RIGHT NOW he could be a solid starter.

You can't just ignore all the years of history of draft picks and pretend that Carman will not improve in his second season.  

Look around the NFL and see how many teams give up on a player after his rookie season.  It just does not happen.  The reason is that NFL teams know that they can't judge a second tound pick based on his rookie season.

The last twenty drafts have produced 17 second round picks that registered a double digit sack season, but zero who did it there rookie season.  Also 31 players who have registered a 1000 receiving yard season, but only 3 that did it as a rookie.  21 players who had a 1000 yard rushing season but only 6 that did it as a rookie.  Overall 496 second round picks have had a season where they started at least 9 games, but less than half of them (200) did it their rookie season.

I could fill a whole page with players going into their second season that you claimed were no good who actually had very good seasons.  You think you know how well Carman will play this year based on last year, but based on the long history of the NFL draft you really don't.

I do understand that Fred. Do you understand that he could also not get better? How many 2nd round picks never got better? Right now he grades out at a 54. He is a liability on our line. Could he improve? Sure. Is that a guarantee or even a better than 50/50 chance of that? No. There is a hope based on the few that have done it before while I look at the many that have not. 

There is no reason not to bring in competition for this guy plain and simple.

If we draft a OG in round 3 and he does way better in camp would you still want to start Carman over him just because?

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - CloeHokie - 04-09-2022, 03:10 PM