Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG
(04-10-2022, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is why I'd like to not spend more than a 3rd round pick on an OL this year. About the only guys I'd be willing to do so would be Linderbaum or Johnson, but that'd be because of BPA.

I've always had the philosophy that Rds 1-2 should be guys you're looking to become starters by the time they are going into their 3rd year.
If you draft a new IOL super early, you're basically relegating Carman or the new draft pick to backup for 3 years given all of Karras, Cappa, and Carman are all signed through 2024.

People just need to accept that Carman was not a Pro-Ready RG when drafted. He was coming in injured (like many Bengals picks in recent years), plus he was going through a pretty big position change (LT to RG).
The best course of action is to bring in a decent vet to compete with Carman for a year. If the vet wins out, then Carman only has to be a backup for one more year. If the vet has to be a backup, that's fine too, since they'd only be on a 1-year deal. Someone like Spain (or Ereck Flowers) would be perfect for that. Ideally someone who can play multiple positions.

We've added some good pieces to the oline but our depth overall is not good. I by no means think we have to reach in the 1st but if Zion, Green or Linderbaum are there we should take them. I'd also be willing to trade back to get a couple of extra day 2 picks so we could go OL, CB in 2 then Dline in 3 and maybe one of the luxury picks like a 4th WR or maybe TE although I'd prefer a LB or Safety over TEN.

I again don't think drafting an OL early is giving up on Carman it's just increasing the talent level competition and our depth. Looking back Carman wasn't pro ready but our coaches sure thought he was or they thought adding Reiff was the only upgrade needed. I saw some flashes out of Carman and I want him to win the job but I also don't want to count on that happening.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - NUGDUKWE - 04-10-2022, 02:40 PM