Poll: How do you think the Bengals should be approaching this 2022 offseason?
Win Super Bowl LVII at all costs.
Optimize the duration of the perceived "Super Bowl window".
Adopt a long-term sustainability approach.
Do something else entirely.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should the core philosophy of offseason '22 be?
(04-14-2022, 02:54 AM)phil413 Wrote: "At all costs" is sort of relative and moves should be case by case.  Collins fell into place for Cincy for example, so thankfully they didn't need to pull a blatent "win now" move like the Dolphins did with Armstead.  They didn't have to pay some of these pass rushers into their late 30's like some teams did either.  Their moves have been to improve the team but not cripple them long term. Cappa was a great win now move, the debate would be if you think Tretter for one year is better than Karras for 3 years for example.  That or is it worth it to trade say a 3rd or 4th round pick for a one year rental at LG.  That or trading a high pick for a corner like the Rams did for Ramsey, I don't think it's realistic the Bengals trade multiple picks, but for the right corner I'd listen.   

I don't agree that if they don't make extreme short-sighted moves then they are automatically squandering a window.  They should be looking to re-sign a few of the guys that they can, that make sense long term and continue to build.  I'd also be mindful of how they use their picks not only for this year but next year two when defining "win now".  For example, they should be willing to deal a mid-late round pick if someone is hurt in preseason or before the trade deadline.  

I guess it would be helpful if you gave a few more examples of moves you would make, it would be interesting to see the reactions of those.  We all want to win now, but "at all costs" should have it's limits.  

Edit: with your Gilmore example, I don't disagree they should look to sign him especially with him not getting market value.  They could restructure guys under contract to get more guaranteed money, that will we around like Hubbard or Hendrickson and you get Gilmore for 2 years. No draft picks moved, no long term dead money. Just like Collins, take advantage of the market.  I do think there will be some ring chasing descent vets when the market settles after the draft, but worth Gilmore yes they should peruse him even if they want to take a corner early.

Actually the debate would be letting Carman be the starting LG or signing Tretter so you can move Karras back to guard. Very much so I believe that Tretter and Karras is worlds above Karras and Carman.

You've decided that going all in on winning a Super Bowl means overpaying old and injured guys. It doesn't. Being an aggressive team doesn't mean being incompetent. It means focusing all your resources on making the best possible team you can squeeze in together, even if it means you might take a small hit a couple years from now cap-wise or pick-wise. The Rams traded for Von Miller because they decided they needed another pass rusher on their already talented team. He got 2 sacks in the Super Bowl and they hoisted the Lombardi. 

Enjoy trying to continue to build when Burrow and Chase are making $80m/yr or more. You can only "keep building" so long as you keep nailing draft picks. As soon as you stop having a huge source of cheap rookie contract players, your team is going to get worse because you can't afford to keep everyone on veteran contracts. 

Right now Burrow, Chase, and Higgins are a combined $19.25m against the cap in 2022. In 2024 if you want those 3 players it will be more like $100m against the cap. Even if the cap rises $50m over the next two years, that's still ~$31m less that you will have to build the rest of the roster. That's more than all three of the OL the Bengals signed this year make yearly combined.

You can only build right now BECAUSE those guys are so cheap right now. Once that's gone, you lose the biggest competitive advantage that exists in the NFL. A franchise QB on a rookie contract. After this offseason a true #1 WR on a rookie contract isn't terrible far behind in advantage.

- - - -
I never made a Gilmore example?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What should the core philosophy of offseason '22 be? - TheLeonardLeap - 04-14-2022, 04:29 AM