Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Abbott has me rolling in the aisle laughing
(04-14-2022, 02:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Calling something you don't like illegal doesn't make it illegal. The Federal Govt. processed them and released them. They are free to go anywhere they want. What you are saying is if an illegal, who has already been released in Texas takes a taxi into Oklahoma it's a crime??? What about ol' Biden's middle of the night flights taking them into other states. Those airline pilots are certainly culpable under your guise. To me they are breaking laws for being here, but if Joe says they can stay, they are as free to move about as you or I. Your position is laughable. 

Are you genuinely comparing an American citizen flying to knowingly moving illegal aliens across state lines and then have the lack of foresight to call my position laughable?

I wanna let you in on a secret - breaking the law is still breaking the law even if it's an elected official doing it. Now I know the last few years have called that into question with the GOP showing a ridiculous lack of back bone, but it's still true. Now you may find it hilarious that Abbot is playing his little political theater and spitting in the face of the laws of the land (laws he's sworn to uphold, mind you), but I don't find our elected officials making a mockery of our country funny.

Then again, comedy is subjective.

Edit: because I know you can't be bothered:

Domestic Transporting -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(ii) makes it an offense for any person who -- knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law.

Knowledge -- Prosecutions for alien smuggling, 8 U.S.C. §  1324(a)(1)(A)(i) require proof that defendant knew that the person brought to the United States was an alien. With regard to the other violations in 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a), proof of knowledge or reckless disregard of alienage is sufficient.

Penalties -- The basic statutory maximum penalty for violating 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(i) and (v)(I) (alien smuggling and conspiracy) is a fine under title 18, imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both. With regard to violations of 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(ii)-(iv) and (v)(ii), domestic transportation, harboring, encouraging/inducing, or aiding/abetting, the basic statutory maximum term of imprisonment is 5 years, unless the offense was committed for commercial advantage or private financial gain, in which case the maximum term of imprisonment is 10 years. In addition, significant enhanced penalties are provided for in violations of 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1) involving serious bodily injury or placing life in jeopardy. Moreover, if the violation results in the death of any person, the defendant may be punished by death or by imprisonment for any term of years. The basic penalty for a violation of subsection 1324(a)(2) is a fine under title 18, imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(2)(A). Enhanced penalties are provided for violations involving bringing in criminal aliens, 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(2)(B)(i), offenses done for commercial advantage or private financial gain, 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(2)(B)(ii), and violations where the alien is not presented to an immigration officer immediately upon arrival, 8 U.S.C. §  1324(a)(2)(B)(iii). A mandatory minimum three year term of imprisonment applies to first or second violations of § 1324(a)(2)(B)(i) or (B)(ii). Further enhanced punishment is provided for third or subsequent offenses.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abbott has me rolling in the aisle laughing - BigPapaKain - 04-14-2022, 03:26 PM