Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The State of the Electrical Grid: In regard to the energy transition...
(04-14-2022, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The electric car is just not the solution, and the quicker people realize it and move on to other technology the better. Not even getting into the arguments about where lithium is mined, how it rapes the earth, how there is no way to dispose of the used batteries, and the power grid etc., let's just look at functionality. The EV functions it's best in temperatures around 70 degrees. Cold weather decreases battery range and performance. Hot temperatures cause quicker battery degradation. So maybe if you don't travel very far, and live in Seattle, an EV will work for you. If you experience North Dakota or New England winters, and have to go very far, not so much. Same for those who summer in places like Florida and the Southwest. You're battery's lifespan is not going to last as long. And it is a given that every lithium ion battery is going to go bad at some point. Now when we talk charging, home chargers take what? I've read a day to a day and a half to charge to full from empty. Fast charging stations can do this in 30 minutes, but again, fast charging a lithium ion battery shortens it's life (as cell phone makers who want you to buy a new phone every two years just love when they sell those fast charging cords.)

Car manufacturers warranty their batteries for like 10 years, but some will not replace a battery that will charge, but is so degraded it's performance is not what it was (think your old laptop or phone that only holds a charge for a couple of hours). I'd have to look it up, but I believe battery packs for vehicles are somewhere around 10K, and some of these have 3 or 4. Hence the guy blowing up his Tesla on You Tube.

If people really want to go green with vehicles, the place they ought to be putting money and resources is into the Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicle infrastructure. You never have to worry about charging it, you fill up at the pump just like a gas vehicle, and the only thing coming out of the tailpipe is water. So much simpler.....

My EV gets me through the CT winter just fine. While I don't disagree with your points about hydrogen fuel cells or the lithium batteries, when it comes to range and charging the majority of Americans would do just fine having an EV. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The State of the Electrical Grid: In regard to the energy transition... - CKwi88 - 04-14-2022, 05:05 PM