Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon ditched by "Democratic" firm
(04-14-2022, 07:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I could literally not disagree with you more here.  The "progressive" wing of the party is why so many cities are in shit shape.  More of them sounds about as appealing to me as a bunch more MJG's joining Congress on the GOP side.

Here is the problem with what we see happening. There are misguided progressives out there that don't actually understand the policies they are trying to emulate. I'm a big proponent of criminal justice reform, including lighter sentencing and what not. However, I also know that the reason these policies work in other countries is because of many other factors at play. One big one is a culture difference, which is something that would take time. Other than that, though, is that they have policies in other areas that support their criminal justice policies.

For instance, poverty leads to crime. We all know this. It's not news to anyone. We don't have adequate policies to support our citizens. When we let someone out early who committed crimes and then they go right back into a situation that led them down their criminal path to begin with, we can't expect a different result.

There are criminal justice reforms we could look at right now, especially in regards to non-violent offenders. However, we can't expect these policies to truly work until we work on the issues that drive people to criminal activity to begin with. Root cause mitigation. When folks put policies in place without the network of policies needed to support it then the outcomes will be disastrous.

That we have almost five times our proportion of the world's prison population is insanity. That we have more people in prison than China, an authoritarian state with over four times our population, is just mind boggling. Yet here we are.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Amazon ditched by "Democratic" firm - Belsnickel - 04-15-2022, 08:37 AM