Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I just got a neighbors mail
(04-20-2022, 02:06 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Again I'm of the opinion you don't go through other peoples stuff even if it is just a magazine or whatever.   If it isn't addressed to you then it doesn't belong to you.  So either take it to the neighbor it was intended for or I believe the USPS guideline for misdelivered mail is to put it back in the mailbox with the flag up for the postal worker to collect or give it to a postal worker.   I know something like going through a neighbor's magazine might seem trivial to some but as stated I feel that you just shouldn't mess with things that are not yours. 

Also companies that send out targeted publications like magazines and catalogs, which cost a fair amount of money to print and send, don't hope it ends up in the wrong mailbox.  If they wanted a neighbor to receive such things they have all those addresses already and would send that person the publication directly.  Customer acquisition and retention is expensive and usually targeted toward the person most likely to respond based market research and customer data as opposed to hoping it ends up in the hands of some random neighbor or person that may have no interest in the misdeliverd mail.

As for reducing junk mail there are options that can decrease junk mail significantly.  Here is an article from the FTC on steps you can take.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-stop-junk-mail

I've done what was suggested in the article and my junk mail has decreased significantly.   I can't recall the last time I received a catalog.  I also found opting out of prescreened credit card and insurance offers as mentioned in the article made a big difference as well.

Yes, there are ways to reduce junk mail.  The pre-screened offers for credit cards, refinances, etc are the most effective in my experience.  The rest of the targeted mail is a lot harder to get rid of.  

I'm not encouraging anyone from taking someone else's mail, but I also just don't think it's a big deal if their catalog ended up in your box and you threw it away or looked through it.  A lot of those are even addressed to person "or current resident" because the sender doesn't even care where it goes as long as someone gives it a look and thought.  Unless maybe it's their Victoria's Secret catalog, taking that from your neighbor is cruel. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
So I just got a neighbors mail - grampahol - 04-12-2022, 04:36 PM
RE: So I just got a neighbors mail - MileHighGrowler - 04-20-2022, 05:09 PM