Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Goodberry - PFF trends of rookie Guards through Year 3
(04-24-2022, 03:18 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: What I gather from this discussion is that we shouldn’t bank on Carmen improving all that much. I’m not saying he won’t improve—I’m just saying we should plan for the worst case scenario. If we wait on him like we did so many other lineman, we could be in a tough spot. I say if the value is at guard or center in the 1st you pick that best player available as we need depth and competition all across the roster. LG is our weak link right now, so it makes sense to pick a LG or center if they are the BPA. We can’t plan on Carmen becoming an all pro until he shows it first. We made some big mistakes in the past banking on young players becoming all pros and they never got close. I say it’s about time we Learn from our mistakes.

Only two OGs in all of the NFL every year are selected All-Pro.
Just because a player is not an All-Pro doesn't need they need replaced.
Heck, even if someone isn't even a Pro Bowler doesn't mean they need replaced.
A player is "above average" with a grade of 70+, by PFF standards.
A player is "average" with a grade of 60+, by PFF standards.
Quote:The ratings correlate this way: 90.0 and higher, elite; 80.0-89.9, high quality; 70.0-79.9, above average; 60.0-69.9, average; 50.0-59.9, below average; 49.9 and below, poor.
https://www.si.com/nfl/cardinals/news/pff-player-grades-deserve-scrutiny

The reason I started this thread is I've seen a lot of doom and gloom about Carman, especially since the Bengals didn't add a veteran LG.
I wanted to convey someone's research that they took the time to collect to give optimism that Carman might still end up turning into a solid player.
Given Carman's rating was 56.3 as a rookie (even higher at LG vs RG), I think it's reasonable that he could end up with a 60+ rating either this year or next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Goodberry - PFF trends of rookie Guards through Year 3 - ochocincos - 04-24-2022, 08:22 PM