Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winning when no one expects it is fun. Winning when you are supposed to win is hard.
(04-26-2022, 01:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to get into a hug debate over this because I agree that the Bengals had a soft schedule last year.

But "SRS = MoV/SoS" and SoS is supposedly based on SRS.  So which came first?  The chicken or the egg?

Or maybe I am just missing something.

I'm likely just doing a poor job of explaining it. Let me start over from a point that helped me because I had a hard time figuring it out myself. 
There are two components to SRS; MoV and SoS. SoS is really just a MoV calculation for your opponents. So, for Cincinnati, we take their point differential ((460 - 376)/17) which equals out to 4.9. That is Cincinnati's average margin of victory. You then run through this same process for every team that Cincinnati played. You will come to find that average margin of victory for Cincinnati opponents was -1.9. This -1.9 is their SoS. The final SRS for Cincinnati is 3.1 (4.9 - 1.9). Why is it 3.1 instead of 3? They probably aren't being very good with their rounding somewhere, but that is the formula. 

The core of it all is just margin of victory. It's a recursive margin of victory calculation.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Winning when no one expects it is fun. Winning when you are supposed to win is hard. - KillerGoose - 04-26-2022, 02:52 PM