Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals ranked 16th best triple threat.
(06-05-2015, 03:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, it works both ways. I just don't call it nitpicking when i raise a criticism, whether it be at Dalton, Hill or Green. 

I think you touched on the biggest part of the issue. Probably, since we could all find bigger scapegoats than AJ, some choose to give him a pass. He is the closest, if not already, to being elite at his position, with Geno being injured and not back to form yet.

The only reason I call it nitpicking is because what is going to happen if A.J. gets a little bit better? Probably not a whole lot. Whether people want to realize it or not, A.J. isn't a big, physically dominating WR. He's just not. He's more of a finesse guy at the end of the day. So that already rules out him becoming Calvin Johnson 2.0, and people need to get over that ever happening, it's not A.J.'s style and it's never going to be.

Sure, he COULD be better, but it's not going to change much even if he is a little bit better of a finesse receiver than he already is. He already runs crisp routes, his footwork in general is good, his hands are good, he has the speed you want from a #1, and he's not a diva. This team isn't drastically going to change and win more games if A.J. slightly ups his game.

There are other guys on the field that would benefit the team GREATLY even if they improve just a little bit more for 2015. I don't think A.J. is in that camp. He's already an excellent #1, so being slightly more excellent wouldn't change too much IMO.

The best thing for this team to do is go out and get a physically dominating #2 or a big, bully of a pass catching TE. A.J. isn't going to be that guy, so it doesn't make much sense when most people's biggest complaint about him is that he doesn't physically destroy defenders. It would be like criticizing Jerome Bettis for not having traits like Giovani Bernard.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals ranked 16th best triple threat. - djs7685 - 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM